The Cotriade - Breton Fish Stew
In this rustic fisherman's stew, the greater the variety of fresh fish, the better. Though it is a simple dish by nature,
Ingredients for 4 people:
• Fish soup 1.5 kg (3 small jar or 1 big and one small)
• 2 small carrots, peeled and finely diced
• 1 medium yellow onions, peeled and finely chopped
• 1 leek, white part only, finely chopper
• 6 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced
• 2 lb. fish such as cod, halibut, hake, red snapper, or monkfish.
• 1 jar of Mayonnaise or rouille
• 2 small pinch saffron threads
• 3 sprigs thyme
• garlic croutons
• Parsley (optional)
1. Pour the soup into a large saucepan.
2. Peel the carrots, remove the green leek and wash the white, chopped these vegetables.
3. Heat the soup slowly, covered, peel and thickly slice the potatoes, place them in the soup evenly, add the peeled and chopped onions, cover, cook at a low broth.
4. In a bowl, mix the mayonnaise with the saffron, set aside.
5. When the potatoes are cooked (the tip of the knife digs in easily), add the vegetables, cook for 5 min, add the fish and cook without boiling for about 10 min (the fish must be completely covered with the soup) .
6. Serve with croutons, saffron mayonnaise or rouille and chopped parsley